At ETR, we understand that dealing with HVAC systems can be confusing and even frustrating. We want to help alleviate some of your confusion and frustration by offering answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) we receive. If you would like more information or have additional questions, please give the professionals at ETR a call.
- What size or capacity system do I need to properly cool my home?
There are many factors involved in the selection of equipment. You should have a DOE recommended Manual J performed on the home.
- How does ETR determine the size of the air conditioning unit needed?
We always utilize the Manual J which takes many factors into consideration including R values, sun exposure and window glazing types.
- Can my currently installed ductwork be used?
Yes, but it should be checked to confirm proper sizing and installation methods.
- Should my ductwork be cleaned if I install a new HVAC system?
Not necessarily, but it is always a good idea to have it checked. We have a camera that we use for inspections, so we can show you areas that may need attention.
- Will ETR handle all of the necessary permits and approvals required?
Yes. We want to keep the process as simple as possible for our customers.
- What is the timetable for the installation, from start to finish?
A typical installation takes around 12 hours.
Estimates and Warranties:
- How is the cost of a new unit estimated?
Pricing will include the cost of equipment selected, miscellaneous required materials, complexity of installation, and duct modifications, if required.
- Will you provide the estimate in writing, with all of the terms and conditions we discuss?
Of course! The proposal will explain everything that is being done, warranty terms, and payment terms. Never use a contractor that requires a down payment.
- Does ETR guarantee their work?
Absolutely. Internally, we warranty our workmanship for the life of the system.
- What kind of guarantee does ETR make on the installation?
We offer an in-house 1 year parts and labor and depending on the equipment, either a 5, 10, or 12 year extended warranty.
- What is the guarantee on a new unit?
It will vary based on the SEER rating.
- What are the requirements for a manufacturer’s warranty?
This varies based on the manufacturer, but ALL will recommend unit maintenance. Some require service records to honor the warranty.
- Can you provide proof that ETR is bonded and insured?
Yes, we carry licensing and insurance above the required limits. We will proudly share this information.
- Are the new systems more energy efficient? Can I expect a decrease in my utility bills?
Absolutely! Efficiency is regulated by the DOE through stringent testing and system match-ups. It all comes down to a rating level called a SEER. Similar to MPG in your car, the higher the SEER, the more efficiently the system operates. Today we start at a 14 and go all the way up to 21.
- Are there any rebates or tax credits available for installing a new system?
Trane and Daikin are always offering a rebate program. There are currently no tax credits.
- Does ETR or the manufacturer offer financing? What are the payment terms?
We have many different plans and interest options. The neat thing about financing is that by installing a high efficiency system the savings on your electric bill will make the payment!
- Do smart thermostats save me money?
Only if they are set up properly and people use them. Most tend to disregard the program and simply adjust set point.
- When is the best time of year to replace my AC system?
Obviously the industry is seasonal. You will get a slightly lower price in the fall and winter months.
Brands We Sell and Repair:
- What brands does ETR offer, and why do you prefer those brands?
We are a very proud Trane dealer and one of the highest rated in the country. We chose Trane for its reliability and engineering heritage and being built and based in Tyler helps! We are also a Daikin Comfort Pro dealer. We chose Daikin for being the largest manufacturer in the world. They lead in technology, efficiency and have a 12 year warranty. Daikin is also proudly built in the largest HVAC factory in world in Houston.
- Does ETR repair all makes and brands?
Absolutely. Our professional technicians are trained and certified to perform maintenance and repairs for any brand.
Service Contract Plans:
- Is a service contract available?
ETR has the largest service contract department in East Texas. We have over 2,000 ESA customers and a full department dedicated this Maintenance
- What is included in an ETR maintenance/ service plans?
Our ESA Plan includes a bi-annual clean and check, multi point safety inspection, 15% discount, and our favorite component is the Priority Service commitment.
- What is the greatest value of an ESA?
Making sure the equipment is operating efficiently and extending the life of the equipment.
- What can I do to increase the life of my AC unit?
Our ESA is the best option. Keeping the filter clean and following the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance. Your AC system is a machine. Unfortunately, many people turn it on and forget about it. It must be maintained.
- What are the cost savings with an ESA?
In addition to extending the life of your unit by having regular maintenance, you will also receive a 15% discount on any future repairs.
24/7 Emergency, Repair, and Customer Service Commitment:
- Does ETR offer 24/7 Emergency Service?
Of course; we keep 2 techs on call 24/7.
- What would be an example of an “emergency”?
In our current climate having no AC is an emergency in itself. Other emergencies would include gas leaks or water leaks.
- What else makes ETR stand above the competition?
Our level of customer service is unsurpassed. We treat warranty calls just like we treat a billable call. Our ESA customers and those who purchase a high efficiency system from ETR will also enjoy the added benefit of receiving Priority service. Daily, we hear of other companies leaving people down for weeks at a time if they have a warranty call. You will never receive that kind of treatment from ETR.
- What are five things I should do before I call for a repair?
- Check your filter
- Check your breakers
- Check your thermostat
- Make sure your drains are clear
- Make sure you know who you are calling. A large percentage of the population thinks that Honeywell, who only makes thermostats, built and installed their HVAC. They have no idea about brands or independent dealers. Give ETR a call!
- What is the strangest thing you have found in an HVAC system?
We would have to say… Snakes!
Keeping Up With New Technologies:
- Are there new technologies I should consider, like a ductless system, or upgraded accessories to add, such as remote-operated thermostats?
The industry is changing constantly. We now have fully digital computer controlled systems. These are great, but the contractor has to be trained on them.
- With all the new technologies, how do the techs at ETR stay current on advances to new systems?
ETR trains their installers and techs weekly in order to keep up to date with new technologies and best practices within the industry.